The Market Development Department is one of the operational departments in the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC). The Department is saddled with the responsibility of promoting and enhancing the volume and value of Nigeria’s non-oil export in the international market. The functions of MDD are collectively referred to as ‘Export Market Entry Support Services. The Department performs the following functions:
- Planning and organization of Nigeria’s participation in International Trade Fairs, Trade Missions, Solo Exhibitions, Contact Promotion Programmes, Buyer-Seller Meet, etc.
- Developing market access for Nigerian products.
- Nurturing and developing new exporters from start-up to export-ready
- Forging international alliances and strategic partnership.
- Organizing Workshops and Seminars on market development, export market entry strategy, costing and pricing.
- Servicing market-related trade enquiries.
- Conducting market research/survey in foreign markets.
- Production of promotional items such as market profiles, catalogue, etc.
- Organizing buyer-seller meets.
- Monitoring and evaluation of post fair activities.
- Removal of export constraints through advocacy and collaboration with export-support agencies and exporting companies.
- Capacity building for staff and exporters.
- Promoting trade documentation in the informal sector.
MDD Departmental Units
The functions of MDD are no doubt, interwoven and complementary in nature. Presently, the department operates four divisions reflecting the major areas of focus for Nigeria’s export promotion strategy. The functions/activities listed above are handled within the ambit of each of the divisions, which are:
- Europe and America Division
- ECOWAS Division
- Other African Countries Division
- Asia and Middle East Division
BROAD ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMME OF THE DEPARTMENT
- International Trade fairs
- Trade missions
- Solo Exhibitions
- Buyer-Seller meet
- Contact Promotion Programme (CPP)
- Export Market research
- Market related Trade enquiries
- Sensitization/Enlightenment &Training workshops/Seminars
- New Exporter development programme
- Inward Trade Missions
- Informal non-oil Export Trade
- Non-oil Export Trade warehouses
- Promotion of Niche products and Markets
PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL TRADE FAIRS/SOLO EXHIBITIONS/TRADE MISSION/BUYER-SELLER MEETS AND CONTACT PROMOTION PROGRAMMES
Notwithstanding the various activities/functions listed above, the most prominent among them and for which the department is mainly noted is international trade fairs, solo exhibitions, trade missions, buyer-seller meets and contact promotion programmes.
The objectives for participation at Trade Fairs/Trade Missions/Solo Exhibitions/Buyer- Seller Meets and Contact Promotion Programmes (CPP) are as follows:
- To show-case Made –in – Nigeria products and services in order to increase Nigeria’s share in the Global market
- To attract the business community in the host country to patronize Made –in- Nigeria products
- To encourage business partnership between Nigerian businessmen and their counterparts in other countries
- To promote intra community trade especially in the ECOWAS sub-region
- To foster regional socio-economic integration (ECOWAS)
- To enhance product adaptation through improved quality and packaging
- To promote the creation of out-lets for steady supply of Made –in- Nigeria products to foreign markets
- To link up Nigerian exporters to potential importers of their products
- To present opportunities for Nigerian companies to conclude business transactions with their business counterparts abroad
- To provide platform for interaction with Trade facilitating Agencies and businessmen of both countries
- To generate information on business opportunities in each divide for mutual benefits
- To create an enabling environment for cultural exchange that may lead to tourism and service exports
- To enable companies take advantage of bilateral and multilateral trade agreements
- To Provide opportunities for identifying and analyzing existing trade constraints and barriers with a view to oroffer solutions
- To project the image of Nigeria.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF TRADE FAIRS/TRADE MISSIONS/SOLO EXHIBITION/BUYER-SELLER MEET FOR NIGERIA’S PARTICIPATION
For an event to be selected for participation by the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC), some of the following criteria are considered:
- The importance of the market in Nigeria’s export drive
- Invitation to attend the event from the organizing countries, Presidency, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment, Nigerian Missions Abroad, Organised Private Sectors etc
- Focusing on Global Economic Trend such as towards Emerging Markets
- Importance of the Event in particular market/Region/Sub-Region;
- Need for Export Market Diversification
- Political consideration
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Trade Agreements
In selecting participating companies, the Council considers the following:
- Must be limited liability company/cooperative/registered NGO
- Product(s)must be duly registered with the relevant regulatory/certification Agencies
- Must be registered with NEPC
- Goods must be of export quality
- Packaging should conform to requirements of the export market
- Products should be within the product line required at the Fair
- Export readiness in the area of capacity of the company to meet export orders
- Need for the company to be exposed to international best practices in order to improve its product presentation
- Relevance of product (s) to the market etc.
|Quicklinks||Connect With Us||NEPC Contact Centre|
Export Support Services